Maharashtra, located in western India, offers a plethora of tourist destinations that can be explored using a tempo traveller. Here are some popular tourist places in Maharashtra:
- Mumbai: The bustling capital city of Maharashtra is known for its vibrant culture, iconic landmarks like Gateway of India and Marine Drive, historical sites, and Bollywood film industry.
- Pune: Known as the “Oxford of the East,” Pune is a city of education and historical significance. Visit attractions like Aga Khan Palace, Shaniwar Wada, and explore the nearby hill stations like Lonavala and Khandala.
- Aurangabad: This city is famous for its UNESCO World Heritage Sites, including the Ajanta and Ellora Caves. These ancient rock-cut caves showcase exquisite Buddhist, Hindu, and Jain sculptures and paintings.
- Nashik: Known for its religious significance, Nashik is one of the holiest places in India. It is home to the Kumbh Mela, an important Hindu pilgrimage, and offers serene temples, vineyards, and the scenic Trimbakeshwar Shiva Temple.
- Mahabaleshwar: Situated in the Sahyadri Mountain Range, Mahabaleshwar is a beautiful hill station known for its breathtaking viewpoints, lush greenery, and strawberry farms. It is an ideal getaway to enjoy pleasant weather and stunning landscapes.
- Lonavala and Khandala: These twin hill stations are popular weekend getaways near Mumbai and Pune. They offer mesmerizing valleys, cascading waterfalls, ancient forts, and panoramic views from Rajmachi Point and Tiger’s Leap.
- Matheran: A quaint hill station near Mumbai, Matheran is known for its pollution-free environment and toy train ride. Explore the numerous viewpoints, take leisurely walks, and enjoy the scenic beauty of this eco-sensitive region.
- Alibaug: Located on the Konkan coast, Alibaug is known for its beautiful beaches, historical forts like Kolaba Fort, and water sports activities. It is a perfect destination for a beachside retreat.
- Ajanta and Ellora Caves: These UNESCO World Heritage Sites are located near Aurangabad. The Ajanta Caves showcase magnificent rock-cut Buddhist cave paintings, while the Ellora Caves feature a fusion of Buddhist, Hindu, and Jain architecture.
- Shirdi: A popular pilgrimage site, Shirdi is renowned for the Sai Baba Temple. Devotees from around the world visit to seek blessings at this sacred place.
When planning a trip to these destinations in Maharashtra with a tempo traveller, make sure to check the road conditions, travel distances, and any necessary permits or permissions required.